If you to loved Ratatouille Movie, you will love making this casserole at home! If you have not, I highly recommend watching it! I promise Ratatouille will make you fall-in-love with joy of cooking!
Added a hearty serving of red potatoes and layer of béchamel to traditional ratatouille to make it a hearty winter dinner. Serve it over pasta, or steamed rice and enjoy meatless Monday. Or serve as-is with side of chicken and a bread to scoop amazing slow cooked tomato and cream sauce.
Layer of spiced tomato sauce, creamy béchamel, and layers of veggies – yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, potato, bell pepper. Does this sound complex dish? No, right? Actually, traditional ratatouille recipe does not even have béchamel and no potatoes.
How to Make Ratatouille?
Layer tomato sauce with minced garlic, thyme, oil, and seasonings. Sauce gets lots of flavor from slow cooking in oven with veggies.. So there is no need to cook it with garlic separately.
Then, Layer the béchamel layer. Final layer is veggies. Once you find a rhythm with color of veggies, the ratatouille’s ratatouille start appearing on the casserole.
Layer both sauces at the bottom and nothing on top of veggies but some oil and seasoning.
Bake ratatouille casserole covered with parchment. So veggies cook but not get charred. In other words, don’t loose the color.
2. Slice the eggplants, Roma tomatoes, squash, and zucchini into approximately 1/16-inch rounds, then set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 12-inch oven safe pan. Sauté onions, garlic, and bell peppers until soft. Season with salt and pepper, then add crushed tomatoes. Stir until ingredients are fully incorporated. Turn off the heat, then add basil. Stir once more, then smooth the surface of the sauce with your spatula.
4. Arrange the sliced veggies in alternating patterns, (e.g. eggplant, tomato, squash, zucchini) on top of the sauce from the outer edge to the inside of the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Mix herb seasoning and pour over the vegetables.
6. Cover the pan with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, uncover, then bake for an additional 20 minutes. The vegetables should be soft.
7. Serve while hot as a main dish, or as a side dish. The ratatouille is also excellent the next day.